Web Soil Survey (WSS) is the survey carried out by the US Department of Agriculture to provide soil data and associated information. The soil produced by the National Cooperative Soil Survey.
United States of Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) delivers vast information about soil-related data.
Anyone can get access to soil-related or other natural properties information on the NRCS site, it is updated and maintained online as the authoritative source of soil survey information.
About Web Soil
It applies the philosophies of soil science and also from geomorphology, theories of soil formation, physical formation, and land-use patterns.
Primary data for soil survey is done by field sampling and by remote sensing. Remote sensing uses the principle of terrestrial photography where field sampling is manually done.
Today latest technology-based tablet used consist of digital aerial photos, LiDAR, topography, soil geodatabases, mapping keys and also many more gadgets are coming into the market.
Elements of Web Soil Survey
- A brief overview of how to conduct a survey related to soil.
- A general soil map in order to compare the sustainability of the soil.
- a detailed map with specific soil series.
- A sector on the proper use and management of soil.
- Table showing environmental conditions in the form of stats.
- tables containing land-based sustainability.
Soil Conservation Service (SCS)
SCS also called as Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is an agency of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) that provides technical help to farmers and private landowners and managers.
The mission of the Soil Conservation Service is to improve, protect, and conserve natural resources on private lands.
- Environmental Quality Incentives Program: Aim of this program provides support to landowners to help them improve their soil, water including grazing lands, wetlands.
- Conservation Stewardship Program: The aim is to take care of organizations that maintain a higher level of environmental.
- Regional Conservation Partnership Program: Its aim is to increase the regional or watershed scale projects.
- Agricultural Conservation Easement Program: the program is mainly focused on the subprograms like Grasslands Reserve Program, Farm, and Ranch Lands Protection Program. They give financial as well as technical help for environmental benefits.
- Healthy Forests Reserve Program: This program works on a contract basis 10-30 years of aim to improve biodiversity and decrease carbon emission.
Benefits of web soil Survey
The information in a soil survey can be used by farmers and ranchers to help find that a particular soil type is suitable for crops or domestic animals and what type of soil management might be required.
An architect or engineer can use the engineering properties of soil to find whether it is suitable for a particular type of construction. A homeowner can use the information for maintaining or constructing their garden, yard, or home.
Read More: Walmart survey
Web Soil Survey provides soil data and reports performed by the National Cooperative Soil Survey. It is operated by the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and provides access to the largest natural resource data in the world.
NRCS has 95% soil data available from all over the world and efforts are carried out to make it 100%.