United States Geological Survey (USGS) is a leading organization in the United States that works in collecting the data regarding the landscape of the United States, natural resources, and the natural hazards that threatens the landscape.
USGS focuses on four major sectors science disciplines, science biology, geography, geology, and hydrology.
About U.S. Geological Survey
The headquarters of USGS is in Reston, Virginia. Around 8670 people work in the USGS department.
The USGS also has four very big and topmost offices near Lakewood, Colorado, at the Denver Federal Center, and Menlo Park, California.
The mottos of the USGS:
- “Science is for a changing world” is the main motto of USGS.
- The newly adopted motto of USGS is “Earth Science in the Public Service”.
Main targeted areas of USGS
- Climate and Land Use Change.
- Core Science Systems.
- Energy and Minerals and Environmental Health.
- Natural Hazards.
Programs conducted under USGS
- Earthquake Hazards Programwhich monitors earthquakeactivity all over the world. It mainly detects the location and magnitude of earthquakes. Scientists are carrying out research on seismometer to detect earthquake location as early as possible.
- National Geomagnetism Program works on the magnetic field at magnetic observatories and distributors also check magnetometer data in real-time.
- Commission for Environmental Cooperation which is used to depict and track environmental issues for a continental perspective.
- The National Climate Change and Wildlife Science Center program introduced to understand past and present land change, create a useful climate and land use for forecasts and identifies lands, resources.
- USGS also works on Stanford Ion Microprobe Laboratory by collaborating with Standford University which traces element analyses of minerals and other earth materials.
- USGS also operates a number of water-related programs, especially the National Streamflow Information Program and also research on the National Water-Quality Assessment Program.
- The National Wildlife Health Center, whose aim is “to take care of natural resources by providing sound science and good technical support and to promote science-based decision which is helpful for wildlife and ecosystem health.
- The USGC also making collaboration with social sites like Twitter for making rapid growth in shakemaps.
USGS Hydrologic instrumentation facility
The Hydrologic Instrumentation Facility (HIF) is one of the world-class facility under which USGS provides precise instruments.
It has four main sections:
- Field Services Section which consist of the warehouse repair shop, and Engineering Unit.
- Testing Section consists of the Hydraulic Laboratory, testing chambers, and Water Quality Laboratory.
- Information Technology Section consists mainly of computer support and the Drafting Unit.
- The last important section is the Administrative Section.
Important Publications of USGS
These publications are mainly for readers who do research on various aspects of environments in various science fields.
- Biological Science Report.
- Mineral Investigations Resource.
- Water-Resources Investigations Report.
- Oil and Gas Investigations.
Read More: Pizza hut survey
(USGS) is a corporation under a government that collects, monitors, analyzes and provides scientific understanding about natural resource like conditions, problems.
USGS program target especially four sectors biology, geography, geology, geospace, and water.USGS is making efforts to understand nature closely.